Self Employment Benefits Program:
Have you ever thought of starting your own business?
If you’re unemployed, you may be able to access Self Employment Services.
- Assistance from a Certified and Dedicated Business Counsellor with assessing your business idea, developing your business plan and helping you get your business off the ground.
- Ongoing support while your business continues to run.
- Access to relevant learning materials.
- Weekly financial assistance to help you cover living costs while your business gets up and running.
- Personal income support for up to 48 weeks, paid bi-weekly when program requirements are met.
- The Self-Employment Program does not provide start up financing. Individuals requiring a business loan to start their business are referred to the Community Futures Loans Officer and other financial institutions.
- The Self-Employment Program is flexible - however, program requirements must be met.
- Businesses must be full time, year-round operations.
- Seasonal businesses can be combined to ensure year-round operations.
- Business training is provided.
- One-on-one counseling is provided.
- Networking opportunities are provided.
- Workshops are provided with relevant business topics.
Contracts (to a maximum of 48 weeks) are delivered in phases to provide benefits to assist with personal living expenses while you start your business operations.
Business Plan Development
- 10 weeks maximum for Business Plan Development to approval by Committee.
Self-Employment Program (Business Launch and Implementation)
- 24 weeks upon Committee approval.
- 14 weeks final extension.
Businesses that are supported by the program.
- Sole Proprietorship, Corporation, and Partnership structures can be supported.
- Retail, Manufacturing, Service-based mobile, storefront and/or home based business operations.
- The applicant must hold controlling interest in the business being established.
- Franchises may be supported: applicants will be assessed based on their level of flexibility with respect to level of support, training and control given by the franchise company.
Businesses that are not suitable for the program.
- A business where revenue is partially or entirely based on commissions on sales.
- A business that is judged to generate income through multi-level marketing.
- A business that is a subsidiary, or financially supported by another company.
- A business that an individual currently owns and operates.
- People who act as agents or manufacturing representatives, or those that exploit sex, religion, or politics.
- Businesses that are seasonal will not be supported unless the business can be developed into full time, year-round operations
What's the next step?
If you already know you want to work for yourself or just want to look further into Self-Employment as a career option, please contact our friendly staff to set up an appointment with an Employment Consultant.
Please note that applying for Self-Employment Services
does not guarantee acceptance.
CLIENT SUCCESS STORIES
Following are some examples of people who have started successful local businesses with the assistance of WorkBC Quesnel Employment Services and our Self-Employment Services:
Darby’s Small Engine Repairs (Darby Apps): June 2016
Darby provides quality repairs to lawn equipment, snow blowers, pressure washers, ATVs, chainsaws and more.
In addition, he sells a variety of partsto meet the needs of customers who want to work on their own machines.
Located at 1565 A Cariboo Highway 97 North Ph. (250-991-0262).
Johnson’s Custom Contracting (Jeremy Johnson): December 2015
The Whole Child Early Learning Centre (Judy Sutton): December 2015
Judy operates the only Child Care Centre within Quesnel to offer a curriculum inspired from the Reggio Emeilia approach.
She’s created a child-led, play based natural learning environment which results in a daily dose of wonder forchildren.
Located at 950 Mountain Ash Road Ph. (778-466-2420).
Black to Basics (Michelle Ford): August 2015
Black to Basics is Quesnel's Bra Boutique!
They incorporate both their friendly service and extensive product knowledge to best meet client expectations.
They carry a wide selection of undergarments and lingerie and have the ability to order stock in if they don’t have what you need.
Drop in to their inviting store at 391 Reid Street to have a look.